nanog mailing list archives

Re: Stealth Blocking

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:19:12 -0700

On 05/23/01, Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com> wrote:

I'm getting seriously confused here. I thought that the open-relay issue was
irelevent to MAPS. That MAPS only black-holed confirmed SPAM sites (a little
tougher, but more granular, charter). Further, that it was ORBS that listed
open-relay sites specifically, whether they were involved in a spam or not
(unacceptable due to punishing potential anti-spammers for proliferating
spam that never saw their systems). To me, these are two entirely different
charters. If MAPS starts to look like ORBS then I will stop using MAPS.

Can someone please clarify?

        MAPS is a company.  They have three basic lists.  One of them,
        the RSS, contains open relays which have been abused by spammers.

        http://mail-abuse.org/rss/ has more information.

        Sometimes people use "MAPS" to refer to the MAPS RBL, which is
        described at http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/ .

        The most commonly overlooked (but individually most effective)
        MAPS list is the DUL, at http://mail-abuse.org/dul/ .

        Each has its own criteria and set of rules, and each has (as
        might be expected) attracted assorted kooks and naysayers.

--
J.D. Falk                                                SILENCE IS FOO!
<jdfalk () cybernothing org>