nanog mailing list archives

Re: Statements against new.net?

From: Scott Francis <scott () virtualis com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:31:17 -0800

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 06:17:35PM +0800, Adrian Chadd had this to say:
Look: "Internet" its single, not plural that would be "Internets" there
are certain uniquenesses which must be maintained if you want all users on
"The Internet" to receive the same results no matter who's network they
are on.

Hrm. Somewhere along the line I remember the Internet being defined
as a bunch of networks cooperating in order to exchange information.

multiple networks, yes; but globally UNIQUE addresses _and_ globally unique domain names that map to those addresses.
Otherwise, it's like if you went to buy a road map, and the street locations given on the map varied according to the
company that published the map. Not knowing where you are going does no-one any good.

--
Scott Francis           scott@   [work:] v i r t u a l i s . c o m
Systems Analyst     darkuncle@   [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t