nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why so little traffic from C&W

From: Rachel Warren <rachel () telco-bitch com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:11:34 -0400

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 04:40:10PM +0000, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:
On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 10:45:41PM +0100, Simon Lockhart wrote:

I believe that "Tier-1" no longer means anything.  It was a term
that had meaning when the government got out of the business of
running NSFNet, and created "Tier-1 Providers" that connected to
"Tier-2 Providers".  At that time (if perhaps only for a fairly
brief time) there were actual defined tiers, and they ment something.

      There was never any governmental sanction of the term or
      concept of tier anything associate with the NSFnet or its
      transition.

And this is definately a good thing.  I don't think I would want to
see my tax money being used by the Department of Standards to define
"Tier-1".

Thanks-

Rachel

--
I must admit, you have brought Religion in my life. I never believed
in Hell until I met you.