nanog mailing list archives

Re: Definition of Tier-1

From: "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam () noc everquick net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:45:20 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:24:25 -0400
From: RJ Atkinson <rja () inet org>

        Curious.  I've never heard that definition of Tier-1 before.
The common definition is "doesn't pay any other ISP to exchange routes
and traffic", or so I've thought for the past decade.

I've seen people colo'ed at AboveNet and Exodus claiming to be "Tier-1"
themselves.

IMESHO, "Tier-1" = provider who wishes to believe that they are something
special, but cannot provide any facts to substantiate their claim... hence
they resort to vaguely-defined-at-best sales BS.

Even if we were a "Tier-1" provider, I'd not want to use that term.  What
is the point in bragging about something with no standard definition?

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence