nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Peers at PAIX

From: Pete Ashdown <pashdown () xmission com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:08:52 -0600

* Richard A. Steenbergen (ras () e-gerbil net) [010628 13:24] writeth:

AboveNet              198.32.176.11    6461   noc () above net
Exodus                198.32.176.15    3967   peering () exodus net
Global Crossing       198.32.176.29    3549   peering () gblx net

These are the only large service provider networks I see listed. AboveNet
would probably peer with a bum on the street outside PAIX if he could
speak BGP, but AFAIK GBLX's requirements were at least 3 locations and
bi-costal at a minimium. If I remember correctly Exodus is also slightly
picky about its "ghetto peers", probably falling somewhere the middle of
the other two.

I was incorrect to list Global Crossing.  Again, the list I presented is
based on my experience.  I am just as willing to remove information as I am
to add or correct it.  Global Crossing has been removed.  My apologies for
any confusion this may have caused.

The rest of the list seems to basically fall into the categories of other
"tier 2" regionals (Hurricane Electric, Maxim, etc), content looking for a
way to save money on their transit bill (Hotmail, EA, etc), Asian networks
who have a circuit to the US but aren't willing to cross it and will take
any peers they can get (SingTel, KDD, etc), and misc small networks with
little overwhelming value.

It was neither a cheap nor an easy proposition for us to get our router
into PAIX.  In fact, its probably the most expensive bandwidth I run since
the DS3 is way under utilized. The main reason I did it was to reduce
network distance to major peers.  My only wish is that peering at all
exchanges was more open, as it increases their usefulness.  Finding another
peering point where I can get 20+ willing peers like PAIX is a struggle.

Seems almost all the larger service providers are requiring at least
bi-costal these days.

I may be able to extend our network into the east coast in 2002.  However,
as stated previously, peering requirements are a moving target.  Once I can
afford a DS3 to the east, I'm sure that I'll have to deal with new peering
requirements that are just as hard to overcome.