nanog mailing list archives

Re: Forcasts, why won't anyone believe them?

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:30:22 -0500

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:54:40 PST, Peter Bierman <pmb () mac com>  said:
Since I'm plugging the Mac, I might as well also point out that the latest
773MHz G4s use 17 Watts max load. I'm often dissapointed that Apple doesn't
do more to tout the energy efficiency of their hardware.

Hmm.. 17 watts.  Of course, that's just the CPU, but I just noticed that

The CPU chips on the previous G4s use only about 4 or 5 watts (I suspect
it hasn't changed much).
It's a lot less than a P3 because it's RISC vs CISC chips.

where I'm working right now is primarily lit by 2 22-watt flourescent lights..

So.. How many of you kill the flourescents in your back-office cubicle
farms during a California-style power crunch? ;)

For that matter - send the  cubicle critters home.  You ever *looked* at
how many watts the average human body outputs? ;)

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech

Most people I know don't power their bodies from a wall socket...

Of course, people that spec A/C do indeed take into account the heat
generated by the occupants.

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme () on-the-i com     http://www.on-the-i.com