nanog mailing list archives

Re: Forcasts, why won't anyone believe them?

From: "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:06:40 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 03:43:31PM -0800, Sean Donelan wrote:

10 years ago, how many folks remember going to the phone company and
telling them "I need 600 phone lines in my basement."  And the phone
company replying, "No one needs 600 phone lines, here is 6." "No
really, I need 600 lines in the next 12 months."  The phone company
replies, "When you need them, then we'll install them." "How long will
it take."  The phone company replies, "Don't worry, we know what we're
doing, that's none of your concern."

To be fair, if all the customers in a colo used the amount of bandwidth
they predicted they would at the rate they would, current facilities would
be out of capacity after a few dozen racks. Most customers can't predict
for squat, so when a real figure comes along it takes more work to make
sure its believable.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>   http://www.e-gerbil.net/humble