nanog mailing list archives

RE: net.terrorism

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () bit nl>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:01:20 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, John Belcher wrote:

Sabri, did you not understand this...

I am far from perfect.

Announcing a netblock doesn't promise that every address in that block
exists or is reachable.  A network that is blocked for AUP violations
doesn't "exist", and usually returns the ICMP message "Unreachable --
Administratively Prohibited" specifically designed for such situations.
Have you read "Router Requirements"?

It specifically states that a block can be announced but that does not
guarantee that all hosts will be reachable.  You buy transit from abovenet,
the block in question goes against their AUP, live with it.

I can live with the fact that they don't route that traffic. But they
should not tell me that they will...

And furthermore, how can you even begin to take part in this
conversation if you haven't read all the relevant literature?

Forgive my arrogancy but I don't need "relevant literature" for an ethical
question like this.

I also strongly suggest you think twice before you accuse a company of
"terrorism" in the future.

What would you call it then?

--
/*  Sabri Berisha, non-interesting network dude.
 *