nanog mailing list archives

Re: Beer and Gear surprise

From: owen () dixon delong sj ca us (Owen DeLong)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:32:13 -0800

I have found this on the web site:

"In striving to achieve these goals, all tutorials and presentations,
including BOF presentations, are reviewed in advance and are limited to
those entirely of a general technical nature, explicitly prohibiting
material that relates to any specific product or service offerings. For
similar reasons, equipment exhibits are limited to the "Beer 'n Gear"
sessions, and vendor giveaways are not permitted at any time during the
meeting."

I'm not sure if there was a vote of the membership, or what, but I had
certainly missed it.

Does anyone have more information on this?

I agree with your general point that the vendor giveaways should be restored
to the beer 'n gear.  I did not notice any sort of vote.  I think it was
decided by the folks at Merit.  Someone said it was the result of one
person at Merit reacting to a particular Cisco giveaway (underpants?)
at one of the last two NANOGs which I missed.

Anyway, Merit, if your listening, bring back the vendor chachkies (sp?)
at the Beer & Gear.  It's supposed to be the exception to the Purley
Academic nature of NANOG, and I really don't see drawing a line where
booze and food are OK and flashlights, pens, t-shirts, underwear, etc.
are bad, just because food doesn't stay with you (unless it's bad or
you eat too much).

Owen