nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network for Sale

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:41:58 +0800

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001, Paul Vixie wrote:

nanog () Overkill EnterZone Net (John Fraizer) writes:

Beyond that, I'm _REALLY_ sick of people pissing and moaning about NAPS
being congestion points.  If you're so tired of the exchange point being
slow, INVEST IN MAKING IT FASTER!!!!! ...

That's what PAIX did.  And Equinix for that matter.  Exchange points aren't
slow, though I admit that some of the ATM-based exchanges have hit their
scaling limit.  Exchange points based on Ethernet with rich PNI opportunities
literally do not have scaling limits.

I'm curious - has anyone performed a study of the BGP convergence
times at NAPs? I mean, all those private interconnects are good and
fine and all, but with the existing BGP implementations in vendor
equipment today, I can see the BGP convergence as this big matrix
of relationships of BGP performance of peers routers.

On the same breath, why aren't people using route-servers at NAPs?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd                    "Romance novel?"
<adrian () creative net au>      "Girl Porn."