nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network security: The auditors point of view

From: Patrick Greenwell <patrick () cybernothing org>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 21:57:21 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
I have no personal knowledge of the DOI's infrastructure, and unless you
do, I think we're all left to speculate as to whether or not the "home
page server" of the DOI had access to the Indian trust data. My
speculation would be that it does if it's Internet connected...

The great thing about our government is public oversight.  It may be
embarrassing to the managers involved, but Interior's computer security
is detailed in several places.

Really an excellent point. On a somewhat tangential note, would Internet
security be aided if businesses were held to higher degrees of
public disclosure and/or accountability?

Not that it would ever happen of course, but I think the discussion around
the question could be intriguing....