nanog mailing list archives

Re: trapdoor.merit.edu and other impatient Postfix mailers everywhere (fwd)

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 17:22:44 -0500

Once upon a time, Gary E. Miller <gem () rellim com> said:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Chris Adams wrote:
..., I would have figured they could afford to pay 5¢ per mailbox per
year (and MAPS might have even worked out a better rate than that for
the big guys).

http://www.mail-abuse.org/feestructure.html

Per year, for $1,000 users, cheapest option, standard pricing
 RBL+  $1,250
 DUL     $500
 RSS     $700
       $2,450

or $2.40/per mailbox per year.  Sorry my budget does not go there...

RBL+ already _includes_ DUL and RSS - that is how it differs from plain
RBL.  So, you only need the RBL+ (you've just about doubled your cost
for no reason).  Also, I was talking about zone transfer mode.  If you
only loaded the zone on a nameserver running on the same system as your
mail server, for 1000 users your cost would be $1.30 per mailbox per
year, or a little over 10¢ per mailbox per month.

For big mail servers (like Yahoo), the $1250 per nameserver fee isn't
all that much and is a fixed cost (they don't need to add nameservers as
they add mailboxes), and the mailboxes fee is $50 per 1000 users, or 5¢
per user per year.

For our 30,000 users and 2 nameservers, the annual fee is $4000, or just
over 13¢ per user.  For someone with 250,000 users and 5 nameservers
(just to pick some numbers), the per user fee would be down to 7.5¢ per
user.

I'm not trying to justify MAPS price for every site out there.  I was
merely pointing out that if the "big guys" (some of which appear to have
been just taking a free ride) had helped MAPS out before, we might not
have reached this point.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>