nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Backhoe Summit

From: Wayne Bouchard <web () typo org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:28:18 -0700

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of these problems could be
avoided with a bit of enforced cooperation.  Recent ordinances require
competing cell providers to licence or share existing towers before
new tower permits are allowed.  We don't allow multiple rows of
telephone poles in the same easement.  Why do we allow unconstrained
underground work?  The rampant "competition" just isn't tenable.

Well, one little issue here.. if everyone shared the same path, that
means the backhoes can do more damage with one swing. Yeah, the
frequency may be offset by better records, but the impact of each one
will be much greater. Its a no-win situation.

Wayne Bouchard                                    [Immagine Your    ]
web () typo org                                      [Company Name Here]
Network Engineer
http://www.typo.org/~web/resume.html