nanog mailing list archives

Re: decreased caching efficiency?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 00:36:36 +0800

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000, John Fraizer wrote:

On this end of the pond, many of us measure success with MRTG and can very
accurately plot profits using the same OIDs.  You are absolutely
right.  When you're in the business of selling bandwidth, that is what you
are interested in.  Not being on the other end of a sat link helps I
suppose.

John,

I agree, but I would have thought that web providers would have oved
the idea of making more money off less equipment. :-)

This is why I believe CDN type technology is proving to be more popular
than the original forward-caches. I fear though that more and more content
will end up defeating even local caches on small links, and THIS is a
big problem in my eyes.

Solve that, and the problem in the original email is solved ..

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd                    "It was then that I knew that I wouldn't
<adrian () creative net au>         die, as a doctor wouldn't fart in front