nanog mailing list archives

RE: Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.net

From: Hal Murray <murray () pa dec com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:50:10 -0700

Out of curiousity, how does the telco world handle this?  When some one
signs up for MCI longdistance, I assume that on some calls they will cross
off the MCI network (and potentially though several others) that will be
piled mile high in static.  The customers will complain about their

I have one case to report.  If it's typical, then the telco world
tracks all the grumbling/finger-pointing I've seen here.

I was trying to call 800-xxx-xxxx.  It didn't work.  I forget the
details, but it was roughly:

  PacBell (my local carrier) said it wasn't their problem.  AT&T
  (my long distance carrier) said it wasn't their problem, but they
  told me which carrier owned that number.  Of course, they couldn't
  fix it - their end worked OK.  Some operator tried it and said
  "works for me".

I'm pretty sure some local switch had a bad entry in the routing
table for that number.

I talked to one semi-clued person, perhaps because I called during
lunch.  They couldn't get it fixed right away, but at least sounded
like they would look into it.

Fortunately, I wasn't in a hurry.  It was working in a day or two
when I tried again.

Sound familiar?

I considered calling the PUC to see how things like that should get
handled but didn't get around to it.