nanog mailing list archives

Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:48:03 -0700

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 04:07:07PM -0500, Tony Mumm wrote:
I think that is similar to what you want....and it might be adequate
against scanners and other simple hacks.   I don't think it would be
worth anything against a flood, the flood isn't going to care
that it sees nothing coming back from your network.    It might
discourage someone if they see no ECHO_REPLYs coming back from their 10 Mbit
smurf....but it probably wouldn't be long before they just stop caring.

The idea would be to throw away the valid packets so that their real customers
complained.
--
John Payne      http://www.sackheads.org/jpayne/    john () sackheads org
http://www.sackheads.org/uce/                    Fax: +44 870 0547954