nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:24:32 -0800

On 01/14/00, "Henry R. Linneweh" <linneweh () concentric net> wrote:

This is really simple to understand, here we have a service that actually aids
you by informing you of an open relay problem being exploited on your network
and when people rise above their apathy and eliteness and are grateful that
someone actually is working on aiding self regulation.

To me A network supporting open relays to the outside world is screwing
the end user who is the paying customer.

Most people that I have informed did not even realize this was happening on
their network and were grateful when I pointed out the problem to them, I
was really surprised at the responses.

        Unfortunately, ORBS does not allow for people who DO know
        about relays, and DO close them, and don't want to be scanned
        anymore.  In the ORBS world, that simply isn't an option.

        That's where most of the sane anti-ORBS sentiment comes from.

        ("Sane" obviously does not include folks who actually do have
        open relays.)

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk () cybernothing org> =========---------
  |       Join the Usenet Cabob: It's a secret society on a stick!       |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----