nanog mailing list archives

Something very odd on an older 2514 .

From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr () baby-dragons com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 19:46:47 -0800 (PST)

        Hello All ,  I've just been doing a few tests on some 2514 routers
        I had laying around .  I setup the two ether interfaces & on each
        like the diagram below

        +--------+                        +--------+
        |  2514  |+----------------------+|  2514  |
        +--------+                        +--------+
            +                                 +
          [hub]                             [hub]
            +                                 +
            +---------+[ ftp source ]         +---------+[ ftp source ]

        I noticed a drastic lessening of expected bandwidth thru the
        routers .  On the range of seeing only 24-25% of available
        ether bandwidth .
        But when I plug the two 'ftp source's into the same hub I am
        getting a more resonable 66-75% of the available ether bandwidth .

        Has anyone any info on what might be the cause of the lack of
        expected thru put .  Tia ,  JimL

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System  Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 25416      22nd So |  Give me Linux  |
       | babydr () baby-dragons com | DesMoines WA 98198 |   only  on  AXP |