nanog mailing list archives

Re: remember the lesson of the sendsys bomb

From: Joe Shaw <jshaw () insync net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 02:30:10 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Paul A Vixie wrote:

the lesson of the sendsys is that after a 24 or 36 hour period of continuous
wakefulness, sean and alan and the rest are going to have to SLEEP.  *that*
will be the time when some perfectly normal event like a route spew or heavy
flap or genetic IOS defect will make itself known, and *that* will be the time
when Y2K finally kicks us all in the head.  not because of the date change,
but because everybody stayed awake too long and upset their normal vigilence.

Agreed.  That's the very reason I didn't want all of our operations staff
to be overseeing the changeover since I didn't think it was necessary.  As
an ISP that caters to business customers we probably won't be made aware
of any issues until Monday.  Having checked with the on-call perrson this
week, she says no one has made a peep, and our normal weekend ops people
are working their regular schedules.

--
Joseph W. Shaw - jshaw () insync net
Free UNIX advocate - "I hack, therefore I am."