nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG meeting subject of attack? Hmmmm....

From: Travis Pugh <tpugh () shore net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:21:28 -0500 (EST)

On the subject of cooperation, has anyone set out to catalog where these
attacks are coming from, at least in terms of compromised networks,  and
share said information?  I know similar catalogs sprang up in response to
smurfs ... is it time to start listing offending networks?  Even better,
does anyone know if the attacks are using something like TFN2K and using
dummy  addresses to obfuscate real attacking hosts?

I see a lot of talk of attacked sites putting up router filters to
stop attacks.  Can anyone who knows let the rest of us in on what was
filtered ... was Yahoo taken down with a flood of HTTP GETs, ICMP, UDP,
SYN floods, or what?  If this is a DDoS, the attack could probably be
fingerprinted  ... this would be very useful information if we are going
to see more tomorrow.  Do we know if the source addys are spoofed, and if
an attacker could turn off spoofing, revealing the source of the traffic
but getting around some filtering?

I am making the assumption that the last three days' attacks  were caused
by the same person or persons.  But the intent is the same regardless
... we can all go back and forth on NANOG about what might be happening,
and wait for the feds to chase down the attacker(s), or people who have
been attacked or might be attacked can compare notes and try to get an
idea of where the attacks are coming from and exactly what they are.

Any relevant info would be appreciated.  Nobody knows who is next.

-travis