nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG meeting subject of attack? Hmmmm....

From: Charles Sprickman <spork () inch com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 23:47:59 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Christian Nielsen wrote:

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Paul Ferguson wrote:

  http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-1544910.html?dtn.head

I guess the only way to 'protect' against something this big would be to
follow Pauls RFC and/or have big, fat pipes sitting idle.

It's my understanding that these recent attacks are DDoS attacks, which
really don't need to involve any address spoofing.  The MO would look
similar to a smurf (many different source addresses bombarding you), but
here the negligent (call the lawyers?) party with the hacked Solaris boxes
running out-of-the-box configs would not be helped by said RFC, right?

This is a sad day for the internet. :(

Just a reminder that we are working in a anarchic, non-cooperative
business, that's all :)

Charles

Christian