nanog mailing list archives

Re: Port scanning legal

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:12:38 -0500

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 05:23:27PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

As always, your mileage may vary.  California law specifically
states that costs incurred by the victim include

      any expenditure reasonably and necessarily incurred by the
      owner or lessee to verify that a computer system, computer
      network, computer program, or data was or was not altered,
      deleted, damaged, or destroyed by the access.

So checking out a scan might qualify.  As for "access", it's defined as

      "Access" means to gain entry to, instruct, or communicate
      with the logical, arithmetical, or memory function resources
      of a computer, computer system, or computer network

In other words, as written, it means that if you pull up my web page, I can
bill you for my time checking the apache logs to make sure you weren't doing
anything wrong.

And, if you send me email, I can bill you for my time spent making sure it
didn't contain a virus.

I'm thinking that law is easily challenged on the basis of vagueness.