nanog mailing list archives

RE: Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () ibm net il>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:29:07 +0200

At 14:04 17/05/99 -0700, Steve Riley (MCS) wrote:

You are merely showing your geocentricism by saying that bandwidth is
essentially free.  That may be true in the USA but not in other countries
and especially not trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic.  T3 from NY-Chicago
goes for around $20K/month.  T3 from London to NY goes for around
$100K/month.  T3 from Tel-Aviv to NY goes for around $300K/month.  T3
Tokyo-LA goes for $400K/month (all prices for fiber on a one year
contract).  I would agree that at $20K/month you could build possible
business models that turn the cost of the b/w to be part of the costs you
eat and in turn provide b/w free of charge to your users.

But at $300-$400K/month it ain't gonna work ($20K/month gets one an almost
E1 from Europe to the USA - whereas in the USA it gets you a T3).  Go to
www.band-x.com to see what current circuits cost.

Once int'l bandwidth costs drop to the rates of USA national rates, then I
would be inclined to agree with you and Vadim that QoS is not needed.
Clearly today, IP QoS is not needed at the campus level.

-Hank

Nice to see that I'm not the only one believing in the foolishness of QoS
hype. Bandwidth is essentially free, and will always be cheaper than QoS.
And since in the end nearly all decisions are based on economics, it should
be apparent which is the more logical decision.

Allow me to point you to an interesting paper called "Rise of the Stupid
Network." Many of you here may have already seen this. It was written back
in 1997 by David Isenberg, then a reasearcher at AT&T Labs (Isenberg is now
an independent consultant). His paper profoundly changed my views on QoS and
made me realize that networks perform best when we limit how smart they get
and ensure that networks focus on transport only. I urge everyone to read
it.

Paper: http://www.rageboy.com/stupidnet.html
Isenberg's site: http://www.isen.com/

Steve Riley
Microsoft Telecommunications Practice in Denver, Colorado
   email: mailto:steriley () microsoft com
   call: +1 303 521-4129 (cellular)
   page: +1 888 440-6249 or mailto:4406249 () skytel com
Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in
the correct screw.