nanog mailing list archives

Re: Root servers and transition

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:37:32 -0800

On 03/27/99, Bruce Campbell <bc () vicious dropbear id au> wrote:

The 'Internet' is a physical and social network which was founded on
casual trust.  Hackers have shown that this trust can be abused, Crackers
have shown that it will be abused.  And NetSOL?

        I think NetSol is showing us that trust or distrust should
        be determined not on the basis of the function that a company
        provides, no matter how seemingly altruistic, but instead on
        the controlling interests behind that company.

        In other words, trusting or distrusting the InterNIC has
        become totally immaterial because Network Solutions has the
        ability to make drastic changes at any time -- instead we
        must decide whether or not to trust Network Solutions.

        This is becoming political, so I'll stop now.

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk () cybernothing org> =========---------
  |     "Life is a bridge.  Cross over it but build no house on it."     |
  |                               -- Gautama Buddha                      |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----