nanog mailing list archives

Re: Root servers and transition

From: Bruce Campbell <bc () vicious dropbear id au>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:18:08 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, J.D. Falk wrote:
      Good question...not to put y'all on the spot or anything,
      but do any of the root server operators already have some
      procedures in place for such an occurance?

RCS, either regularly triggered:

        */15 * * * * ci -u -m"Zone Update" root.zone.secondary.file ; co -l
             root.zone.secondary.file

        (Add your own wrapper to ensure you don't RCS the file during an
         actual zone reload)

or the same triggered on a zone change (logsurfer/named-xfer).  The
important thing is to keep copies of zone changes as they occur which you
can roll back if required.  Add your own dns-lint/awwooga, too many
changes scripts.

(I run RCS on the zones under our control, but not as yet on the zones we
 secondary; just give me a few moments ;) )

The 'Internet' is a physical and social network which was founded on
casual trust.  Hackers have shown that this trust can be abused, Crackers
have shown that it will be abused.  And NetSOL?

--==--
Bruce.

si libet alius me dat, domina