nanog mailing list archives

Re: more Internic nightmare

From: Dean Robb <pceasy () norfolk infi net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:19:04 -0500

At 20:19 3/23/99 -0500, Nick Bastin wrote:
I would suggest forcing people to register to use the whois database.
Make it open to anybody, with free registration, but require
registration.  Then restrict users to, say, 250 queries per day, which
would radically slow the pace of mining, allow most people more queries
than they would ever use in a 24-hour period, and would make it hard to
resell the service.  Now, you'd probably need some kind of exception
program whereby with proper authorization, or something, certain users
would have the 250 query limit eliminated, but at least you'd know who
they were, and if they abused it, cut them off.

That's a pretty good idea.  It works for hundreds of other sites, why not
for WhoIs?  Require a password (to help avoid account theft), but keep it
free.

"Small minds can only contemplate small ideas".....Unknown

Dean Robb
Owner, PC-EASY
(757) 495-EASY [3279]
On-site computer repair, upgrades and consultations
Read my game reviews/columns in SimOps on WWW.TheGamers.Net