nanog mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring, Flow Stats (Re: spam whore, norcal-systems)

From: Phil Howard <phil () whistler intur net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:16:09 -0600 (CST)

Bob Allisat wrote:

 Technicians have no right to scan any mail for
 contents that does not violate the more important
 civil rights of citizens to privacy and precious
 freedoms of expression. What Mr. Howard is, in fact,
 proposing is the computer systems equivalent of that
 staff of thousands in the form of software that scans
 and then junks anything the programmers decide is
 unacceptable. Which is totally egregious.

The programmers would not get to make those decisions.  They would
instead be made, in effect, by my customers through their choice
of service provider.

 Instead of designing systems and software that can
 handle the modern volume of electronic communications
 (the good the bad and the ugly) these allegedly capable

The volume of mail isn't the issue.  It's the annoyance factor
that my customers face.  I already get complaints from customers
just because I have not actually implemented/deployed any of
the blocking facilities I speak of.  I want to, and I suspect
I will have to.

 professionals advocate choking off what "We the People"
 can or cannot send each other and call it a public
 service. When in fact the public would be served far
 more by recieiving all of the mail from systems that
 didin't choke at every silly cyber-flyer, dumb make
 money scheme or wedding/birth announcement.

I have no plans to block by content.  My current plans are to block
known open relays and dialup ports.  I won't need to look inside the
mail (by program) at all to make the blocking decision.

--
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --