nanog mailing list archives

Re: OPS: BGP spew from ASN 7374

From: Sean Donelan <SEAN () SDG DRA COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 0:26:45 -0500

"Brian Dickson" <briand () teleglobe net> writes:
Anyone who peers with the CIX and doesn't filter (or peers with anyone and
doesn't filter) gets what they deserve. At a minimum, as-path filtering;
preferably, prefix filtering based on RADB registrations. IMHO.

Yeah, I know.  I deserved that.  For reasons best discussed only after
consuming large quantities of beer, I hadn't filtered that BGP session.
A ticking time bomb that finally went off.

With the end of ANS as a seperate network, will there be any network
pressure to keep any public routing registry up to date?

But yes, memory, even NVRAM, isn't so expensive, and it would be nice
if this were at least field-replaceable or upgradeable (eg, first chip
is soldered to the board, but with empty sockets for add-on NVRAM.)

I'd even be willing Cisco memory prices for that!!!

Also a reminder, the electric power industry will be conducting a Y2K drill
on Friday, April 9, 1999.  This is not expected to affect end-customer's
electrical service.

ftp://ftp.nerc.com/pub/sys/all_updl/docs/pressrel/4-9-99-drillreminder.pdf

Next week, April 14, the FCC NRIC committee will be reviewing the telephone
industry Y2K tests.  http://www.nric.org/

I'm looking forward to the end of 1999.  It means no more Y2K presentations.