nanog mailing list archives

Re: Contact handles disappearing mysteriously from the whois database!

From: John Fraizer <John.Fraizer () EnterZone net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:05:45 -0400

At 11:15 AM 4/27/99 -0400, Steven J. Sobol wrote:

The major problem is that NSI refuses to be honest about what's
going on.

Well, I got one from them today concerning this.  You'll love this.  I have
included my reply to them as well:

To: help () networksolutions com
Subject: Re: [NIC-990424.199e] Lost Objects

Ahem,

Excuse me.  These are separate ROLE accounts.  They have separate purposed
and actually have a separate person on the other end of the email address.
We use these ROLE accounts so we don't HAVE to modify any domains when/if
someone leaves the company.

We are a hosting company.  We have a NIC handle for our NOC, and a NIC
handle for our registration services department.

I notice that Network Solutions, Inc has a separate NIC Handle for your
accounts payable department.

Accounts Payable  (AP5173-ORG)  ap () NETSOL COM
703-742-0400

Wow... CERF.NET has the same scheme on their end:

   Administrative Contact:
      CERFnet Administrator  (CA597-ORG)  cerf-admin () CERF NET
      619-812-5000
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      CERFnet Hostmaster  (CERF-HM)  dns () CERF NET
      619-812-5000

Same goes for BBNPlanet:

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      BBN Network Operations Center  (BNOC)  ops () BBNPLANET COM
      800-632-7638
Fax- 781-262-6351
   Billing Contact:
      AP, GTEI Domain  (GDA35)  domain-bill () GTEI NET
      800-632-7638 (FAX) 617-873-6012

OOPS!  It looks like C&W are in the same boat I am:

Cable & Wireless, Inc. (CW3-DOM)
   1919 Gallows Road
   Vienna, VA 22182

   Domain Name: CW.NET

   Record last updated on 18-Mar-99.
   Record created on 13-May-95.
   Database last updated on 26-Apr-99 10:40:23 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS.CW.NET                    204.70.128.1
   NS2.CW.NET                   204.70.57.242
   NS3.CW.NET                   204.70.25.234
   NS4.CW.NET                   204.70.49.234

Look Ma!  No Contact handles!