nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internic and PGP

From: Jeff Frost <batalion () apocalypse org>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:59:04 -0800

At 11:01 AM 3/31/99 , David Shaw wrote:

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 10:49:35PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 07:31:24PM -0800, J.D. Falk wrote:
   I don't think it's ever been officially announced as down,
   but they'd admit there were problems if you called.

     If they ever did, you know, that might affect their stock
price.  Can't do that.  Not with the money grubbing higher-ups ;)

     I've found that the way that mutt supports pgp, doesn't work
right with their template processing stuff, so you have
to pgp -sa the file then e-mail it in for it to work.  They've not lost
my key (that i'm aware of), and only returned templates I sent with
the mutt pgp stuff, but not with the ELM2.4 ME+ (that works correctly).

I have gone to silly lengths to ensure that I am giving them a valid
signature.  Once I signed the template, and then verified the signature. I
then copied it to another machine with a different PGP version and
re-verified the signature. Then I mailed it to myself off-site and
verified the signature on the remote system to ensure the mail system
wasn't breaking something.  Finally, I mailed it to
hostmaster () internic net and cc'd myself on and off-site.  Both copies I
got back verified fine.  The Internic took a few days and then bounced it
because they couldn't verify the signature.

heheh...this is what I did almost to the letter.  I know for a fact that
there's nothing wrong with my signature and I am able to get my key from
their keyserver, so I just don't know what the problem could be.  I'm still
waiting for my faxed in authorization letter to let my contact template
changes go through (so I can use crypt-pw).  Meanwhile, I'm stuck without
being able to change any zones.  Love that customer service.
-----
Jeff Frost             Vice President, Technology
<jeff () netnoir com>     NetNoir, Inc.