nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internic and PGP

From: David Shaw <dshaw () jabberwocky com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:01:26 -0500

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 10:49:35PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 07:31:24PM -0800, J.D. Falk wrote:
    I don't think it's ever been officially announced as down,
    but they'd admit there were problems if you called.

      If they ever did, you know, that might affect their stock
price.  Can't do that.  Not with the money grubbing higher-ups ;)

      I've found that the way that mutt supports pgp, doesn't work
right with their template processing stuff, so you have
to pgp -sa the file then e-mail it in for it to work.  They've not lost
my key (that i'm aware of), and only returned templates I sent with
the mutt pgp stuff, but not with the ELM2.4 ME+ (that works correctly).

I have gone to silly lengths to ensure that I am giving them a valid
signature.  Once I signed the template, and then verified the signature. I
then copied it to another machine with a different PGP version and
re-verified the signature. Then I mailed it to myself off-site and
verified the signature on the remote system to ensure the mail system
wasn't breaking something.  Finally, I mailed it to
hostmaster () internic net and cc'd myself on and off-site.  Both copies I
got back verified fine.  The Internic took a few days and then bounced it
because they couldn't verify the signature.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw () jabberwocky com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/