nanog mailing list archives

Re: And we thought the text part of the Starr Report would be bad

From: Jerry Scharf <scharf () vix com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:58:49 -0700 (PDT)

 As you would expect, they only get the real experts to speak:

 "While Bergman was confident ABCNews.com's plans to stream the video in its
 entirety would go fine, Martin Hall of the IP Multicast Initiative says
 the real problems would occur at the user's
 end of the line.

 The standard T1 connection of an Internet service provider handles a
 maximum of 53 dialup connections pumping data to a user, he said, but a
 54th user could cause a major problem."

The number of dialups on a T1, the number of bytes in a framed ATM cell.
I see a telco conspiracy here. (:-) for the humor impaied)

jerry