nanog mailing list archives

Reporting abuse (was Re: Lawsuit threat against RBL users)

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cp net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:23:30 -0800

On 11/19/98, "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com> wrote:

Actually, it is somewhat easier for them. I have it on good authority that
the mail admin at AOL gets regular detailed traces from SPAM-L and other
private sources. Many of the SPAM complaints not only come with detailed
headers, but traceroutes as well. NetCom also benefits from their users in
this way. All that is required is to verify the analysis as being valid,
check the logs, and move on from there.

        Since the abuse folks have to verify that the analysis is
        valid, why even include the analysis?

        Personally, when dealing with complaints, I tend to ignore
        all "analysis" and other text except the forwarded message
        itself unless I'm at a loss as to figure out why it was sent
        to my abuse department.

        I've spoken to a number of other abuse leads who feel the
        same way.

--
J.D. Falk <jdfalk () cp net>                                 "Nathan says hi."
Special Agent In Charge (Abuse Issues)