nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lawsuit threat against RBL users

From: Paul Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: 19 Nov 1998 08:49:20 -0800

keric () cyberiron com (Eric Anderson) writes:

Not to mention being the ultimate DoS: sending out loads of useless
SPAM that appears to come from a competitor, getting them kicked off
their Net.

The RBL team has occasionally received and followed up on some spam,
traced it back through multiple providers, only to discover that it
was forged by a somebody's competitor.  We blackholed the real source
in those cases, not the forged source.  The telephone is a marvelous
tool for figuring out what really happened, and our use of the phone
is one of the things that makes the RBL so difficult to maintain.
--
Paul Vixie <paul () vix com>