nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why does Sprint have address filters again?

From: Karl Denninger <karl () mcs net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 18:54:52 -0500

On Sun, May 31, 1998 at 12:52:04PM -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
Guys,
I hate to bring business issues up in a technical forum, but y'all started it.

There is a definite business case for portable /21's. First off, I
understand the technical need to limit ASN's to /19's so I don't need
lecture #101. However, those limits were set quite some time ago. When can
we reduce them? Has technology stood still?

No, it has not.

The need is for service ISP's, as opposed to Internet Access Providers. We
need portability too.

Tell me about it.

The whole /19 thing started as a bad idea, and has propagated because other
people picked up on it and said "yeah, ok" and then formulated policy around
it - instead of whacking the first person with a wet noodle.

There are some providers out there who think that there's no reason they
should have to spend money on RAM and CPU in their core routers.  There's
a curious correlation between those folks, and the ones with the largest
number of route announcements too. :-)

--
--
Karl Denninger (karl () MCS Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin