nanog mailing list archives

Re: Building a NOC

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () robotics net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:15:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

Yes.  And your consultant must know local practices as well.  If you are
building a facility in Fairfax County, Virginia (a major technology suburb
of Washington DC), avoid, in your plans or anything the building inspector
may see, the term "computer room."  "Communications room," "network room,"
etc., all prevent the problem: if they see "computer room," they will
demand a mainframe-style central emergency power off control, which greatly
increases electrical wiring cost.

What? That should not increase the cost at all, and is required in most
areas. All you need to do is get a shunt trip breaker and you are all set.
I was able to build my colo in Atlanta with the shunt trip off the main
600 Amp 3 Phase panel. In doing this the USP still protected the load, but
V/AC and lighting was shutoff. I think I spent $100 more for the shunt
trip. The breaker is what cost us the big bucks, but not as much as the
800 Amp 3 Phase breaker on the UPS output.

I haven't looked at this recently, but another Fairfax County practice was
if you used halon, regardless if the room was also sprinklered, you had to
do a live test with halon before the inspector would approve it.  The

Ya, and you had to hold the test for a specified time without any
air/halon leaking out. If you are building a new POP, HALON in ANY city is
not legal any more. The bad news is there are still a few major areas that
have not approved the HALON substitute. So you end up with a pre-action
water system with high temp heads.

--
Nathan Stratton                         Telecom & ISP Consulting
www.robotics.net                        nathan () robotics net