nanog mailing list archives

Re: [nanog] Re: Building a NOC

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () robotics net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:41:39 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Scott Kozicki wrote:

S.T.Balbach wrote:

Correct. There are people who build NOC's for a living. You don't want to
know all the details of generators, floors, AC, power loads, BTU's, heat
exhaust, etc.. all of which has to be negotiated according to local county
and state rules and regs, building owner regs -- its a massive undertaking
to do it right, there are people who do soley this and are good at it.

Anyone care to chime in as 'an expert'?

I'd love to talk to a NOCMeister about building one.

I have built 8 colos so far with 10 - 200 racks and 2 NOCs. I have done
everything from design all of the systems to actually laying block. There
is WAY to much that goes into building a colo to talk about this on this
list. If you want more info send me some email and I may be able to help
you out.

P.S. Not all of my colo centers were airplane proof as one person at
NANOG kindly noted. :-)

--
Nathan Stratton                         Telecom & ISP Consulting
www.robotics.net                        nathan () robotics net

Cheers,
Scott Kozicki
BlueStar Communications
--
"If you don't get this message, please let me know
   and I will send you another one."