nanog mailing list archives

Re: RA/RV Feeds from RBN

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () pluris com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:00:54 -0800

Tony Li wrote:

Vadim,

I sympathize with all of your cogent comments when applied to multicasting
in the large.  However, multicasting in the small, as practiced by certain
ISPs seems to violate all of your assumptions and thus violates your
conclusions.  A specific example is UUcast.  Comments?

There's always niche applications.  It is still silly to build a significant chunkof complexity into the core network
just to carry insignificant amount of
traffic.

Tunnels are our friends.

--vadim

PS    I do not see how isolated network violates "all assumptions".  And i fail
          to see why the same functionality (and a lot more) couldn't be implemented
         in application-level host-based caches/mcast servers.

         There's no particular reason to drag these functions into core gateways.