nanog mailing list archives

Re: too many routes

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:31:39 -0400

On Thu, Sep 11, 1997 at 01:01:45PM -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
At 2:02 PM -0400 9/11/97, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 09:11:55PM -0400, Sean M. Doran wrote:
Sanjay Dani <sanjay () professionals com> writes:
There are backbone providers and there are providers of specialized
ISP or hosting or security etc. services that need independent* IP
address space and do not have to waste resources on building a private
"backbone".

NAT.

Perhaps I misunderstood Sanjay, Sean, but I believe his concern was
that the addresses _not be the property of an upstream (ie: backbone)
provider_ to provide flexibility of connection choice.

NAT will not solve this problem; it resides at too low a level of the
theoretical architecture, being used primarily to avoid renumbering of
internetworks.  This isn't a network numbering problem, it's a routing
problem.

Please, let's think this through carefully before making such
pronouncements. If the problem to be solved is providing flexibility of
choice, then Sean is quite right and NAT (plus other renumbering
technologies) is the solution for most people. If you use NAT and
renumbering technologies then you don't give a darn what your IP address is
or who gave it to you as long as it is globally routable. You still have
flexibility of choice in that you can switch upstream providers on a whim
and use Paul Vixie's BSD tricks to multihome if that matters.

Ok; I've taken this private, because I'm only close to getting what
you're saying, and my feet are too big.

[ reads, thinks, chnages mind ]

Oh.

Shit.

<thunk>

Number the internal stuff privately and use NAT to renumber the
external appearances when necessary.  Fix the DNS when you do.

Forgive me, all; I'm climbing back under my rock now.

Cheers,
-- jr '/24' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology