nanog mailing list archives

Re: too many routes

From: Peter Lothberg <roll () Stupi SE>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 97 4:56:42 MET DST

Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net> writes:

This is what I beleave sprint is doing. They are using the new Cisco 12000
GSR with external router servers. It is a smart way of patching the
problem. If you need more CPU or memory you can just add a bigger box and
more RAM.

The GSRs are to move bits fast.  They are not to act as
route servers.

Sprint recently announced that they are deploying 622Mbps
POS cross-country links, and the GSRs are the only things
you can put on the ends of such beasts that are available
today.

(Someone may point out that it may not be the only choice
for very long, however, it's the only one whose design I
know and have had any influence upon, and is therefore
frankly the only one I trust, although I don't expect the
people building the competing box will ship anything but a
good product even if they are now rather deeply in bed
with the cell-heads and about as transparent to most
observers as the Kremlin during the cold war...

Well, Ericsson did spend around $1,250Mil trying to develop their own
ATM switch as part of ther AXE family. A total fiasko..

--Peter