nanog mailing list archives

Re: Talking about spam and stuff..

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () priori net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:19:13 -0800

On Nov 18, Adrian Chadd <adrian () ourworld net> wrote:

Ever since I subscribed to the list, I started to get spam. Which is
strange, this email accounts gets (a) staff email, (b) nanog email.
So a bit of snooping showed me that anyone can send the "who nanog" (or
"which nanog", I cant remember which one, I just sent both :-) command
to nanog () merit edu and lo and behold, the subscriber list came back.

So I'm asking the list admins to please disable the command, so spammers
can't just grab a user list.. and also, for people who run large email
lists, to consider doing the same.

        Making things worse, nanog () merit edu is still open for anybody
        to post to, even if you're not subscribed.  Many complaints
        have been registered with the listowners, but for some reason
        they've all been ignored.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-650-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."