nanog mailing list archives

Re: consistent policy != consistent announcements

From: randy () psg com (Randy Bush)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 97 06:19 PST

A normal condition of peering between consenting adults is that the peers
have consistent policy across all points where they peer.
[example of a quasi-consistent scenario skipped]
1) it's ok with consent of parties involved (i.e. you may want to coordinate
fancy policies with peers)

In this particular case, a peer is complaining about a simple policy.  Is
there an other policy that would make them happy.  Can I hope that it is not
complex, hardier to maintain, or have undesirable side effects?  Is the peer
justified in asking me to implement different policy and what other
policies?

2) generally speaking, BGP path length is too blunt an instrument.  More
fine-grained control is needed to allow peers to fine-tune balance of
their interests.  I'm sorry to be too naive, but i'm repeating that for
years and nobody seems to agree that BGP needs real metrics.  How come?

I thought that there was some plan to experiment with this, but have seen
nothing recently.  Perhaps the BGP artists have become otherwise occupied.
[ what will changing the length of the ASN do to the community format? ]

3) on a philosophical level, all involved parties should have a way to
control destiny of routes, to a some extent.  Right now, it's either
control local to the destination (local preferences), or control by
adjacent neighbour (MEDs).  There's no way to extend it further (save for
as-replication kludgery) or to combine local and remote metrics in any
meaningful way.

I agree that this is worth exploring.  But it is a philosophical problem and
protocol design issue, thus perhaps better suited to other fora.  I am just
an unsmooth operator trying to understand how to be a good citizen and how
far I may have to bend to be one.

The reason I posted to NANOG is that I have a real today problem with an
actual unhappy peer.  And I am trying to understand if there is something
reasonable I can do to make them happy.  The inconsistencies described may
also cause problems for real world routing analysis tools.

So all good points.  And I agree with you philosophically.  But please bail
me out today.

randy