nanog mailing list archives

Re: Livingston & BGP & multicast USENET (was blah blah blah)

From: "James D. Butt" <jbutt () mwci net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 00:12:34 +0000

    Livingston has serious problems with its BGP code and
    has since it was first available (going on six
      months now)

Huh... Uhh I am not aware of this..

I'd be curious about how many updates/second this box can
handle while forwarding across all interfaces at line
rate, and how quickly from the receipt of an update
switching to another path the forwarding engine begins
sending traffic along that path, and how many
christmas-tree packets flowing at line rates to a series
of changing destinations are lost or mis-forwarded.

Well I know that on the IRX platform the router is not fast enough to
deal with light ammounts of updates with 5 or 6 sessions and still
forward packets.. I am told the on the PM3's that is handles it just
fine..

The IRX is old 3 years or so 386DX-40 based where the PM3 is 486/66

For instance when we reset a IBGP session when the session
establishes when loading the routes (15-20k) it will stop forwarding
for 5-10 sec.

I would be interested in actual "it works/it doesn't"
commentary (and possible explanation of "it doesn't", if
that's the case) involving this particular router from
some sizeable ISP or other.  Learning from vendor mistakes
is of use to many of us.

It works.. I am very happy with it.. On the IRX platform it is not
ment as a backbone router but for customer connections it works
great. We have a few of them that are not accepting BGP routes but
are anouncing customer routes.. It seems to work real well. I hope to
get a PM3 in here to find out how well it works.. If the performance
is as good as I have heard and the fact that I can fit 6-8 full views
in 16 MB of ram... we might have a winner for some of our smaller
POP's..

Plus where space is not a big problem the IRX is a great price for a
2 T1 2 56k port router for customer connects..

<Whole bunch of Multicast USENET stuff cut>
James 'J.D.' Butt                       Voice 319.557.8463
Network Engineer                        pager 319.557.6347
MidWest Communications, Inc.            fax   319.557.9771
241 Main St.                            noc () mwci net
Dubuque, IA 52001                       jbutt () mwci net
"I used up all my sick days...   so I'm calling in dead"
"Lets fight against continental drift!"