nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netscape MAE colocation?

From: Avi Freedman <freedman () netaxs com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:19:07 -0500 (EST)

BTW: I did not mean to imply that the machines were directly connected to the
     FDDI/ethernet switched fabric.  I really wasn't looking at their backs;
     I tend to get somewhat distraced by lots of Criscos when at major XPs.

Avi

Hi,

Stephen Balbach wrote:

And Netscape has some mighty big SGI's promintently displayed as
you walk in.

Netscape's web servers?  Interesting, does Netscape now host their
gigahit-per-day web servers outside the West Coast (in-house or
at ISI.NET?)  I was wondering if Netscape now "redirects" web browsers
to their "nearest" server?  This would be cool if it would set a precedent;
hopefully they and other high-volume providers would set up mirrors
*outside* the US so that folks wouldn't spend their bandwidth pulling their
(uncacheable) pages in.

If Netscape is indeed doing this, do HTTP traffic analysis and the business
case show that selecting different locations for web servers is
"worth it"?

Regards,

miguel a.l. paraz  <map () iphil net>              |  pgp key id: 0x43F0D011