nanog mailing list archives

Re: An end to spam through Graphnet

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () priori net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 14:36:33 -0700

On Aug 1, Geoff White <geoffw () precipice v-site net> wrote:

Let this be an object lesson to those of you out there who have
yet to upgrade:
the spammers will find you sooner or later.

        And once they've found you, they will keep on relaying through
        you until you make it impossible for them to do so.

Can anyone elaborate a little more on the "one true" set of procedures
that one should take to prevent spammers from abusing ones resources.

        It varies depending on what your situation is, and how smart
        you expect your customers to be.

The current problem that I have is valid customers who are "on the road"
and want to sendmail through my SMTP server when they dial into
att or netcom, before their eudora's used to point their SMTP server
at me, that ain't happenin' after my spam attach so is there some work
around that they can use?

        The /best/ idea is to have them use a local SMTP server.  If
        they can't or won't do that, there are a few recipes floating
        around that let you exempt messages from specific sources; I
        haven't investigated those much, but they're out there.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net
See us at ISPCON '97, booth #501
"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."