nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBN (GTE) Suffers another major power problem.

From: "Robert T. Nelson" <rnelson () internoc com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:39:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Christopher Masto wrote:

The question is, what gets power?  Assuming you're the size of BBN, it
becomes.. er.. "physically impractical" to power everything with a
generator.  I know when I was at RPI, though they had a room full of
batteries (3-5 minutes of power), and a huge generator, it was only
enough to power the telephone system and mainframe.  In fact, it
couldn't handle the water cooler for the mainframe.  But the point is,
even though (I hope) BBN isn't using a power-hungry mainframe, enough
routers, switches, NOC workstations, etc. will eventually add up to
more kilowatts than you can supply yourself.  A decision has to be
made as to what stays on and what doesn't.

If you're in a 24x7, customer-driven market, you should have either:

a) enough go-juice (via fuel contractor) to go until the grid is on-line

OR

b) smaller NOCs.

There is no excuse for a large player like GTE to lose power for any
extended period off time. (I can understand a brief, reboot long, outage
if something went awry, but hours? No sir.)

Rob Nelson
President, INTERNOC (tm)
the internetwork operating company, inc.
+1.210.299.INOC / rnelson () internoc com