nanog mailing list archives

Re: cyberpromotions

From: Sanjay Dani <sanjay () professionals com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:43:26 -0700 (PDT)

He can sign all of the deals that he wants.  If he doesn't stop
his illegal tactics of theft of services, he will be out
of business -- we have contacted the local police department
after the 3rd or 4th time he used our mail relay -- they
believe that charges of theft of service will stick.  We are
holding off civil suits against cyberpromotions and their clients
until criminal charges have been brought.  Once he has been
charged with criminal theft of service, we will sue both cyber
promotions and their clients for damages.

Great way to go! IMO, this is the best way to hit where it
hurts and punish the real offender instead of arm-twisting or
hacking into ISP's in the chain.

And in Interactive Week today, I see Cyber Promotions just signed a
three year deal with UUNet/Worldcom.  Someone was quoted as saying they
will have the capacity to "send 111 average-sized email messages per
second".

<sarcasm>
I'm eager to see which of the anti-spam preachers will
be the first to stop peering with and/or taking transit
from UUnet (WCOM) in order to stay "clean".
</sarcasm>

Sanjay.