nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering versus Transit

From: "Neil J. McRae" <neil () EASYNET NET>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 10:13:12 +0100

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 08:34:46 +0100 (BST)
 Peter Galbavy <peter () wonderland org> alleged:

Some of us are very sensitive about this, and once when we lost
all connecivity to the outside of the UK (going back about 18 months
now) we made sure we *phoned* a couple of LINX peers (thanks to
those at PIPEX and JANET at the time) to ask if we could just add
forwarder entried in our DNS servers towards them for some level
of name service. JANET was also down - same tx atlanic cable, but
PIPEX had connectivity. They said yes, and then we did. I treat
unwelcome data at whatever level as theft of something that belongs
to me/us etc.

Slight detail, The LINX didn't exist then and it was PIPEX and EUNET
that was used.

The really sad thing is that in that 18 months, I can't see the
above being repeated again, since most ISPs are now run by faceless
monsters and not the engineers (who made it all work). Death of
the net predicted... pics at 11.

Yah, I agree. I'm seeing it more and more everyday!

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
neil () EASYNET NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)