nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 11:53:39 -0400

Jeff Rizzo writes:
Those of us running backbones (well, some of us, anyway) are spending
a portion of our energies tracing these attacks.  The discussion
here is proving helpful, and I definitely think it should continue.

What sort of experiences have people had eliciting cooperation from
other providers, when attempting to trace?

Largely bad ones :(

I'm currently attempting to trace one, and have gotten it to the
edge of our network, but have spent the last twelve hours attempting
to get cooperation from the NSP at mae-west I've tracked it to.

We need to get some sort of rapid response system going so that people
can know who to call to get cooperation quickly -- the phone tag
problem alone right now is causing significant damage...

Perry