nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 18:15:34 -0400

At 03:08 PM 10/3/96 -0400, Tim Bass wrote:

The TCP fix and possibly and ICMP fix (and more work on
kernel hackers part) will, I can safely predict, the
faster short term solution than trying to coordinate
the world into doing filters.

Random Drop, is not a panacea, as you say Paul, but it
is a very big, big step in the right direction and
I predict that within 30 days and at the latest 60
days (because people are busy) that the SYN attack
much less 'troublesome'.

Hm. And how quickly do you think all of the reachable hosts in the
world are patched? I would suggest that ingress filtering is, by far,
less resource intensive, since the numbers of routers v. hosts are
much, much smaller.

In any event, I believe ingress filtering is certainly a Good Thing.

Also, what progress has been made in hardening OS's for UDP flooding?

- paul